International Shark and Species Conservation Organization
Respect, Love, Save — Sharks
Our ultimate goal and vision: intact shark populations worldwide
We want to achieve our vision through three missions: Protection, Education and Cooperation
In our mission statement we have set out our vision, mission, values and code of conduct. Under the three missions, we describe our activities, which we all carry out on a voluntary basis with a lot of commitment and passion for the protection of sharks.
Sharkproject is actively represented in many countries through ambassadors in Angola, Mexico, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Europe is represented by the three country associations Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. Sharkproject International as an umbrella organization is made up of the country representatives, members, as well as Staff International Cooperation and the Presidium.
All projects and campaigns are coordinated and decided upon by the international board of directors, so that a worldwide, uniform appearance is guaranteed. We are one Sharkproject.
International Cooperation as a staff networks with other organizations and governments and represents Sharkproject at congresses such as IUCN. We work with many partners to give weight to campaigns and projects. Because the more numerous we are, the stronger we are in shark conservation!
We can't do all this without you, either! No matter in which way you support or will support us, we thank you for your trust in our work.
Promote scientific research, projects and initiatives that support the conservation of sharks and its habitat, financially, organisationally and ideally.
We inform and train, educate about the importance of sharks, give recommendations for action and rules of conduct.
We initiate and implement measures with other NGOs to protect the shark and its habitat.
EU Citizens' Initiative STOP FINNING - STOP THE TRADE:
Where do we go from here?
After official confirmation of 1,119,996 votes, the Public Hearing in the European Parliament on the topic of the trade ban of shark fins in Europe took place on 27.03.2023.
The million remain valid:
- The national authorities handed out the certificates - confirming more than one million votes. The initiative then submitted its documents to the EU Commission within three months.
- This marked the beginning of the exciting final step of the campaign. Within a month of submission, the initiative's spokespersons will present our common cause to the relevant EU committee. In addition, the spokespersons will have the opportunity to address the EU Parliament directly in a public hearing. This has happened on 27.03.2023
- The EU Commission must publicly announce its further action within six months after the votes have been submitted. In doing so, it is possible that action will be completely rejected or only partially implemented. Of course, we hope and expect that the destructive trade in shark fins will come to a complete end.
- The deadline for the EU Commission's response is 11.07.2023
We keep fighting:
- Having closely followed the political debates and arguments brought forward by fishery lobbyists, we are concerned that the Commission’s reply may not fully consider all essential aspects for a balanced evaluation of:
- the EU’s leading role in the global shark fishing business,
- the unsustainability of the EU’s shark fishing operations,
- the true environmental and socio-economic impact of these fisheries, and
- the importance of this reply for sharks and healthy marine ecosystems
- Together with other European marine conservation organizations, we are addressing the EU Commission in an open letter: